Monday, March 24, 2014

NITTY GRITTY GRAB BAG


Your PROMO QUEEN presents:

  a GRAB Bag
of news that could be of interest. . .

NEW BOOK - SKYPE - DYSLEXIA - PINTEREST

 


Temporary picture: As soon as I have the first completed illo I will put it here.

My main news is
"DREAMTIME  MAN"
.

What is that?

My latest book!

.A picture book for older grade-school children.

.

Imagine a wild place where sun burns the sand,
Where water and food must be scratched from the land.
This place is the wellspring of men black as coal,
And Dreamtime ruled all who endured as one soul.    

While shy Daintree tribes hunted deep in the shade,
Tough bush and outback men learned how to trade.                     
Whether hunting, or fighting, or struggling to live,
All respected the Dreamtime and what it could give.     

.

It is the rhyming tale of what happened to the Australian Aboriginal tribes after the white man arrived and proceeded to take over their land. I have had this story simmering on my back burner for a number of years.  In the meantime I wrote 13 other books - some of them about Aussie animals, and several that had Australian protagonists, with even an aboriginal main character or two.
.

Yet the Dreamtime Man kept whispering to me from the depths of my computer.  "Come on Margot, let's get this walkabout on the march. The American Indians got their story out. Stone the crows, mate, we've waited long enough! It's a bonzer tale.  Let's DO IT!"
.

 I guess nagging does work, because I dug him out, dusted him off and polished until he yelled, "Jumping grasshoppers mate, I"M READY already!"
.

Finding the perfect illustrator was no swim in the billabong. The Aussie Outback and bush colors are unique:  bright, clear and strong - their own spectrum of blues and reds. And the aboriginal has a special look - a black Indian like figure will not cut it.  I sent bunches of pictures of it all to prospective artists, but the Dreamtime Man was not impressed. "No fear! I won't fight for my freedom in colors this those!"
.

Then I found an artist on the Dreamtime wavelength.  Her first sample was not promising. But after I sent details and more pictures she came up with a sample that had the Dreamtime Man hopping with glee - like a kangaroo on steroids! The artist's name is Ioana Zdralea, and you can look at some of her diverse work here: http://ioanazdraleaillustration.wordpress.com/page/2/


*******************

 

SKYPE
.
Author Visit News

www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-LLo_eWdxk


April 1st 2014 - 10.30 am

Taking my Magic Carpet of Books to a first grade class in the Eastern US.

Read a story, talk about writing and how books are written,
and answer lots of class questions.

 A FUN DAY FOR ALL!

************************ 


SPECIAL NEEDS KIDS
.
http://pinterest.com/margotfinke/
.

Dyslexia VIDEO

Flemming Ast is a crusader for those with Dyslexia and other reading
or learning problems. This is his latest VIDEO encouraging parents
to get their children reading well and early, and if they
need help doing this, find that help ASAP. 

He has kindly featured me and my Horatio Humble Beats the Big D -
a picture book that helps and encourages dyslexic kids and their parents.  



************************ 


My
PINTEREST

*There's mouthwatering YUMMY food
* Great BOOK REVIEWS

*Help for SPECIAL NEEDS

*Cool BLOGS THAT ROCK
*TEACHER- CLASSROOM

HOME SCHOOL


And LOTS more!






************************ 

Books for Kids - Skype Author Visits
http://www.margotfinke.com

***********************

 


No comments:

Post a Comment