Tuesday, September 20, 2011

SCHOOL VISITS via Skype and a Webcam - Are they a GO?

AINT NEW TECHNOLOGY AWESOME.

For schools a bit off the beaten track, or unable
to come up with big fees, 
have you though to
Try a SKYPE-WEBCAM visit
to introduce YOU and your BOOKS?



I write books for kids (11pub so far), and I'm looking for
teachers or schools that would like a Skype/Webcam
visit from an author like me . . .


Margot Finke

An author who loves to get r
eluctant readers
HOOKED on READING
.   

With the economy in the dumps, and many schools feeling a definite pinch, I think author visits via Skype and a Webcam will fill a very definite need in an economical, as well as fun and informational way.

HERE'S MY PLAN

Just like my in-person school visits, I would talk about writing books, illustrating them, read one of my latest, and maybe run a short lesson on writing or rhyme.  I am happy to provide whatever the class curriculum needs. I will encourage the use of active and powerful words - of kids exercising and playing with their imagination. The idea is to paint instant word pictures in your reader's head. This brings the plot and the characters alive. 

Reading is a Magic Carpet Ride
to fun, adventure, and a chance for great educational
opportunities – all from the safety of your comfy chair. 
 
My collection of Australian aboriginal artifacts  – boomerangs, message sticks and bark paintings etc,  show well, and would be a hit with any class. And answering children’s questions is always a highlight of any school visit of mine.

I would also love to give the class, or any child that wants one, a FREE copy of my short time-travel (PDF) adventure. Synopsis:  When a magical Boab tree sends Taconi spinning into the 21st century, Ruthie and Horatio (characters from 2 other books of mine) help Taconi and Claude find their way back to the 1950s where they belong. 

My two latest books are:

Taconi and Claude – Double Trouble.

This is a mid-grade adventure about a young aboriginal boy’s coming of age problems. It is set on a cattle station in outback Australia, circa 1950.  *My Teacher’s Guide page encourages the use of the KWL study guide. There is also a glossary of fun Aussie and aboriginal words included.
http://myplace.frontier.com/~mfinke/Teacher%27s%20Guide.htm#teach

Horatio Humble Beats the Big D.
 

This rhyming picture book supports dyslexic kids in their efforts to read.  It is a fun read for any child, yet it encourages parents to diagnose problems early.  A helpful parent/teacher guide is included.

Teachers who are interested, please e-mail me for more details:
 mfinke@frontier.com


( Home schooling parents too! )



Make the  Skype-Webcam technology work for
YOUR CLASS.

********************************

 
** Margot’s Magic Carpet
   See 11x Books with a WOW Factor
** Manuscript Critiques - Help for writers
    http://www.margotfinke.com


2 comments:

  1. Margot - I am very interested in doing this too. Have you done it before? I am worried that my presentations, being so interactive, will not translate well to the screen. If you have any advice, I would be most grateful! You could reach me at susanna@susannahill.com Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susan thanks for the comment. I think Skype-Webcam school visits will become popular with time, and the increase of Skype and webcams in schools.

    These days travel time and hotel accommodations are expensive + schools lack the funds they once had. I will e-mail you as requested.

    Margot Finke
    http://www.margotfinke.com

    ReplyDelete